As a result of the coronavirus or Covid-19 pandemic, many schools are remaining closed for the foreseeable future or until more safety measures can ensure our kids’ safety. Because of this, many parents are forced to homeschool their kids, a tedious feat that can be daunting for busy parents who may also be working from home at the moment. But homeschooling need not be too stressful for parents with a little planning and organizing. In fact, here are some homeschooling tips, tricks, and essentials that can help you get through this school year.
- One of the most basic things to prepare for when homeschooling is a homework station. If you have a playroom, you may create a homework or learning station in one section or turn the entire room into a mini classroom. Productivity and organizing professional Jessica Kennedy told Good Housekeeping that one must understand what your kids need to learn without distractions. She suggested organizing the necessary learning tools, materials, and supplies in bins or baskets and making sure to color code them for households with multiple children.
- Make sure your kids have a comfortable table and chair that’s great for both lessons and work. Give them enough space for drawing, problem solving, and more.
- Keep clutter at bay by using caddies for school materials. Corral supplies so you and your kids can easily grab them when you need and return them when not in use.
- Have supplies ready. Especially for households with several homeschooling children, make sure to have supplies ready when you need them by having your own fresh pile. This can not only decrease stress during deadlines, but also save you some money as buying in bulk comes out cheaper than buying a few items at a time.
- Have your kids’ schedules posted in a conspicuous place. Invest in a dry-erase board where you can easily post events, assignments, and deadlines so everyone can see. You can even use colored markers to differentiate events from deadlines or your children’s activities from each other.
- Get labeling. For households with a number of kids, labeling is a must. Especially during the transition seasons where the flu can come and go, make sure that your kids avoid sharing and use only the materials assigned to them as much as possible. From water bottles to lunch bags and more, make sure to label them for each child.
- File things away in an orderly manner. From assignments to schedules and more, make sure you are able to keep track of things by filing them. Invest in a fun filing cabinet with lots of colors to color-code which file belongs to which kid. It will help make searching easier and less time-consuming.
These homeschooling tips, tricks, and essentials are just some of the ways you can decrease stress and increase productivity when it comes to homeschooling. Here are more great ideas on how to build your own homeschool and make learning fun for all of your children this new school year.
Homeschooling Tips, Tricks, and Essentials: Creating Your Classroom at Home
1. KidKraft Nantucket Kid’s Wooden Table and 4 Chairs Set with Wainscoting Detail in Pastel
One of the primary things you need for a child’s learning room is a chair and table set that is comfortable and looks fun to learn in. The pastel-colored KidKraft Nantucket set is a cute addition to any kid’s playroom or homeschool room. It’s made of MDF and solid wood and features a white, square table and 4 chairs in pastel colors of pink, sage, buttercup and sky blue. It also features a gorgeous wainscoting detail that’s elegant and charming. Best for kids aged 3 to 8. This set has an overall rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Promising review: ” This table is adorable and sturdy. It’s also super easy to clean. I’ve cleaned everything from outdoor paint to sticky jelly off of this table set and it’s great. My daughter loves it and it supports my weight (118lbs) and my husbands (175lbs).” icanseecanada
2. HoneyCanDo Kids Toy Storage Organizer With Bins in Pastel
Keep your homeschool free of clutter with this toy storage organizer with bins that feature 12 plastic toy totes that measure 5 inches deep. It’s great to use in any playroom, child’s room, or even in your bedroom. This organizer helps encourage kids to organize small toys at a young age so you can ensure they grow up with a sense of cleanliness and neatness. The organizer features a white wooden finish with matching metal rods and comes in a cute pastel colorway. This best-selling organizer has an overall rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Promising review: “Exactly what I expected! Seriously love it so much. Was easy to assemble. Was not expecting it to be so sturdy so that was awesome. Also bigger storage capacity than I expected.” Darien
3. Learning Resources Create-a-Space Storage Center
Keep your child’s at-home classroom neat and tidy with the Learning Resources Create-a-Space Storage Center, a handy all-in-one storage center that not only encourages cleanliness and neatness in kids, but also helps keep things organized. This carousel-type storage center features eight removable containers sized for glue sticks, colored pencils, and more. What’s even more fun is that each removable container comes with an easy-to-hold handle for easy mobility, whether you’re moving to the floor for some messy arts and crafts, or grabbing some pencils for note taking. This ultra-handy, best-selling caddy has an overall rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Promising review: “A nice little organizer for my daughter that is helping use get organized at home. Has just the right number of individual containers for our variety of pens, pencils, scissors, etc etc. I pull out what we need for her to use at her desk (or she does) and we can keep things tidy while we work and have fun!” Kathleen G. Clendaniel
4. KidKraft Bookcase with Reading Nook Toy in White
When it comes to your little one’s comfort and enjoyment in learning, make sure to give him the best with this fun reading nook from KidKraft. It’s a bookcase and reading nook in one, where you can easily store and access your children’s books for reading time. It features 6 convenient storage spaces for books, toys and more and a comfortable grey cushion where he or she can sit while reading. It features smart and sturdy construction so you can use it as your child grows. Parents love this nook because it is easy to assemble and have rated it highly for its sturdiness, value for money, and durability. It has an overall rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Promising review: “Holy cow. This has exceeded my expectations by far. My children love it, and their room has never been more organized! The cubbies are small enough for easy use, but late enough to hold the taller books and stuffed animals. We were even able to utilize the top of the seats for a humidifier and a small desk size lamp. So happy with this purchase!” Amanda Biebel
5. Favourde Educational Posters for Kids, 15 Pieces
When beginning to homeschool your kids, invest in a good set of educational posters that you can hand down to your younger kids in the future. This set of 15 educational posters features the alphabet, numbers 1-10, numbers 1-100, days of the week, months, seasons, time, weather, opposites, colors, addition, subtraction, emotions, farm animals and shapes. It is made of 300 gsm cardstock, double side covered with high quality PET film for added durability, waterproof, tear resistant and reusable. You can even use water-based markers that you can dry-erase while tutoring kids. It also features bright color schemes and vivid patterns for fun learning. Parents love it for its value for money, sturdiness, durability, and because it is easy to read. This set has an overall rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Promising review: “Great selection of educational posters! Each one is laminated, which makes it great for little ones to use a dry erase marker to trace.” Anonymous1
Fun School Supplies to Keep Kids Engaged and Things Organized
1. Tilemall Expandable Wood Desktop Bookshelf and Organizer in White
Crafted from MDF wood with a white painting finish that won’t rust or corrode, this expandable desktop organizer from Tilemall features a sleek, innovative design featuring 2 main parts that are adjustable to meet your needs. It features a sturdy construct and an open shelving unit that provides ample space for books and other learning essentials. It’s easy to assemble and simple enough to install on your own. This best-seller has an overall rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Promising review: “I needed a small organizer for my books and organization. I don’t have an office so working from home and getting my masters degree means my dining room table is my desk! This has helped to organize my workbooks and pens. It makes my table look like a lot less of an eyesore! It holds everything very well and is sturdy.” Chris
2. Kikkerland Woodland Pencils, Set of 4
Make class time more fun for kids with this set of four Kikkerland Woodland Pencils, which come in delightful designs. Let your child’s creativity run wild with these fun creature-topped pencils, which feature a bear, bunny, fox, and deer. This set has an overall rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Promising review: ” Super cute. Perfect gift to encourage more purposeful time writing, doing schoolwork, or as a way to help them feel a little extra special.” Casslayer
3. Zmol Electric Pencil Sharpener in Tiger
Continuing on the animal theme, this fun plug-in sharpener from Zmol is a professional automatic electric pencil sharpener with a heavy duty helical blade. It features a switch button so you can choose the precise sharpening setting you need, such as sharp, medium, and blunt. It’s perfect for busy at-home learning rooms with more kids. It also features a safety device that starts automatically when a pencil is pushed in and automatically stops when done. The blade also automatically stops when the shaving receptacle is removed. This cute automatic sharpener has an overall rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Promising review: ” Never seen a pencil sharpener be this sharp without having to force the pencil in more. Easy to remove shavings by pulling the tongue, too. Looks great and has a great weight which helps adhere to the table very nicely. Highly recommend, although too early to comment on durability at this time. And it’s so cute!” LaineyBell
4. Fred Sprout Little Green Bookmarks, Set of 6
Made from soft, flexible silicone, these bookmarks are shaped like little sprouting seedlings. This set of 6 is grouped in 3 different shades of green. It’s small enough to mark the last page you read so you can easily pick up where you left off. It’s an interesting addition to your own little home library. Your kids will love it! These bookmarks have an overall rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Promising review: “I love these bookmarks! And as a librarian, I’m picky about bookmarks. They’re small, durable, and portable. They stay in books well and are downright adorable sticking up out of the pages. Plus, it’s so small you can leave it in the book while you read it. And you don’t have to worry about them folding and tearing like paper bookmarks. I just love them.” Caroline
5. Ticonderoga Pencil Shaped Erasers
Let kids learn from their mistakes with these fun pencil shaped erasers from Ticonderoga. It provides clear, smudge-free surface and minimal residue when erasing on paper. It’s PMA certified non-toxic and latex-free so you know it’s safe for kids to use. This best seller has an overall rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Promising review: “My little 3 year old preschooler loves these erasers! Encourages motor & development skills when it comes to writing and errors. Absolutely loves them! Great quality and the best eraser I’ve ever seen.” DJ2BIG
When it comes to homeschooling, Teelie Turner has got you covered. Check out more stories on homeschooling and how to make it an easier experience for you and your kids in the links below.
Just a disclaimer – We have partnered with these companies because we use their products and/or proudly trust and endorse them – so we do receive a commission if you make a purchase or sign up for services. Often, we are able to negotiate special discounts and/or bonuses, which we will pass on to you via our links. We often get short notice on sale items available for 24-48 hours as we will pass these savings onto you.