The New Year has always been a season of tidying up and reorganizing one’s home (and life!) following the holidays. It’s a time to go out with the old and in with the new, as they say. It’s also a good time to rethink the way we organize things in our home and make fore more efficient and clutter free living. That’s why in today’s story, we’re learning how to get organized in 2021. With these New Year organization tips, we hope you can learn a thing or two on how to declutter and improve your way of living this 2021.
New Year Organization Tips:
- Start small. Going through all of your things and belongings at home can be very daunting, especially when you have a lot of stuff. Don’t stress yourself out by aiming to finish the entire house in one day. Instead, begin with a small task: declutter one to two drawers or just a single closet. Go through your things and decide if you want to keep it or toss it into the donation box.
- Place items where they are used instead of where there is space. Most of us tend to put things where there’s space or an open surface, a little nook in the closet. Lifehack.org recommends placing objects where they are needed so you can save time finding things and tasks are done faster, easier and more efficiently.
- Invest in sturdy storage. This is especially useful for when you’re taking down Christmas or holiday decor and storing them for use the following year. It’s important to have storage boxes that are sturdy, don’t get mold, and will withstand any moving, in case you need to suddenly vacate your home or apartment this year. Also useful is a set of labels, which will help you keep track of what’s inside these storage boxes.
- Color-coordinate your kitchen. Interior designer and professional organizer Jeffrey Phillip told Real Simple that keeping your kitchen color- and style-coordinated minimizes or eliminates visual clutter in your cabinets, drawers, and countertops, so make sure to invest in cooking tools and utensils with similar colors.
- Organize your files in your home office. Some of us have become lucky enough to work from home for most of the 2020 quarantine, but this can also cause more clutter at home. Organize your home office by categorizing the most important documents in color-coded folders or binders that you can easily grab when you need it. HGTV recommends organizing by categories such as medical, pet, auto, manuals, house, personal, and more.
How to Get Organized in 2021: Declutter Your Mind and Home
1. Smart Planner Pro Daily Planner
Featuring a luxurious quality for a fraction of the price, the Smart Planner Pro Daily Planner is crafted from thicker 120gsm bleed proof paper for a better writing experience. It features a silky-smooth sleek animal-friendly leatherette hard cover to protect your pages. The planner features 52 weeks and 12 month undated layouts, an expandable inner back pocket, elastic strap closure, and 3 bookmarks. The inner pages also contain monthly calendars, daily schedules, goal setting, weekly scoring, to do lists, notes sections, habit tracking and gratitude affirmations. Rated 4.5 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Promising review: “I started using my 2021 planner and really like the way this one is set up. There is a lot of space for notes and appointments. There are also plenty of areas to help you organize and stay focused.” Jules0125
2. Post-it Notes Holiday Limited Edition Super Sticky Color Collection
If you’re one who loves organizing with sticky notes, then this holiday limited edition color collection is for you. It features a range of Post-it Notes measuring 3 x 3 inches in an array of beautiful colors, making it easy to spot and easy to use on doors, windows, walls, or anywhere you can stick a Post-it Sticky Note. Rated 4.9 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Promising review: “The colors in this pack are so bright and colorful. I bought them to use with my goal-setting planner, in which I color-code my goals.” Amazon Customer
3. Sweetpea & Maple Magnetic Monthly Calendar Dry Erase Board for Fridge
Save the environment by cutting down on paper and using a reusable dry erase family planner instead. The Sweetpea & Maple Magnetic Monthly Calendar is a magnetic dry erase board that easily attaches to the fridge so you can write down notes, activities, and meal plans for everyone to see. It’s perfect for organizing family activities as well. Rated 4.7 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Promising review: “This calendar is perfect! It adheres to my refrigerator with no problems, is the perfect size, and hasn’t stained from the marker. It’s been through a move and is still in perfect condition!” Amazon Customer
4. Sweetzer & Orange Fruity Weekly Meal Planner and Grocery List Magnetic Notepad
Parents will love the organization help they’ll get from the Sweetzer & Orange Fruity Weekly Meal Planner and Grocery List Magnetic Notepad, a unique planner that can easily be attached on the fridge for everyone to see. It features a 7 x 10 inch pad with thick 100gsm non-bleed paper and strong magnetic power so it stays put no matter how much you use it. No more sliding down the refrigerator! Rated 4.7 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Promising review: “This is the cutest meal planner/grocery list! The size is perfect for the front of my fridge. There is a lot of room to write and the paper has a nice texture/thickness to it. It doesn’t bleed through to the next page. Great product and you can’t beat the price!” Mary S.
5. Ripple Creek Key Holder and Mail Shelf
Access your essentials with ease with the Ripple Creek Key Holder and Mail Shelf, a functional organizer that holds mail, keys, and more. It’s made of extra thick 0.75″ solid pine wood and hooks, making it a sturdy and durable organizer for your entryway. It also comes with a leveling tool, screws, anchors, wall template and instructions, so you don’t need a handyman to install it. The organizer is fitted with 4 double key hooks. Rated 4.8 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Promising review: “Flawless product. It’s very clear that this was handmade with care and each piece will be a unique look. So glad I purchased this to hold my mail and keys.” RST
How to Get Organized in 2021: Personal and Home Essentials for Keeping Clutter-free
- Simple Houseware Foldable Cloth Storage Box and Dresser Organizer, made of non-woven, mold-proof fabric that is collapsible to save storage and is great for storing underwear, ties, scarves, and more. Includes 2 large boxes (11″W x 11″D x 5.25″H), 2 medium boxes (5.75″W x 11.25″D x 5.25″H), and 2 small boxes (5.75″W x 5.75″D x 5.25″H). Available at Amazon.
- YouCopia StoraLid Food Container Lid Organizer, which holds round and square container lids up to 9 inches and includes 5 long adjustable dividers. Made of BPA access-free plastic and features handles for easy access and mobility. Available on Amazon.
- Evadow Over the Cabinet Kitchen Bathroom Storage Organizer Basket, which helps create more storage and organization in the kitchen, bathroom, or any cabinet in the house. Made of sturdy steel with smooth black coated, rust-resistant coating. Shop on Amazon.
- Hippo Creation Heavy Duty Storage Pocket Chart, with 10 pockets and 3 over door hangers, made with durable nylon with grade A stitching for long-lasting durability. Each chart is 14 x 47 inches while each pocket is 13 x 7 wide to accommodate files, folders, and more. Available on Amazon.
- Utopia Home Set of 6 Pantry Organizers, with 5 drawers and 1 egg holding tray made of BPA-free clear plastic featuring strong construction for long-term use. Shop on Amazon.
How to Get Organized in 2021: Invest in Car Organizers to Keep You Tidy on the Road
1. One Pix Car Backseat Organizer
Maximize storage space in your vehicle with the One Pix Car Backseat Organizer, which features 7 built-in mesh bags and 1 clear tablet holder, giving you more room to store water bottles, snacks, toys, and other travel essentials for you and your passengers. It’s made of strong, waterproof 600D Oxford cloth, nylon, and waterproof PVC. It also features extra-long, adjustable straps with quick-release buckles for a perfect fit and easy use. Rated 4.3 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Promising review: “These are fantastic for keeping things off the floor of your car if you have lots of things you need to have stored in the vehicle.” L. Jessop
2. Laluka Car Trunk Organizer with Cooler Lid
Whether in the front seat, back seat, or your trunk, the versatile Laluka Car Trunk Organizer keeps your things clean, organized, and easy to reach in your car. It features collapsible compartments so you can adjust it to whichever size you need. It features an insulated removable cooler and is designed with 600D fabric and solid walls and floors. It also features a multi use cover and divider options, as well as large elastic pockets for tissues and bottles. Rated 4.8 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Promising review: “Love it! Holds everything I need for my family all neatly organized in one place instead of scattered throughout my vehicle.” Amazon Customer
3. Drop Stop The Original Patented Car Seat Gap Filler
Tired of dropping pens, keys, your phone, or other small items in between car seats? Now is the time to invest in the Drop Stop Original Patented Car Seat Gap Filler, which provides 100% gap coverage in front of, surrounding, and behind the seat belt catch. It features a high grade neoprene casing that lets it contract or expand according to your gap. It also includes a slide free pad and an LED credit card light. Rated 4.6 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Promising review: “This product was easy to install, looks nice, and works as promised. Consider buying for yourself or as a gift.” De
4. AmazonBasics Car Seat Storage Mesh Organizer
Keep your car clutter free with this car seat storage organizer from Amazon Basics, which is great to use on cars, trucks, and SUVs. Its stretchy, resilient mesh material extends as needed and provides partial visibility of items stored so you can access it easily. It can conveniently connect to the back of your seat or in between the two front seats. Rated 4.4 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Promising review: “I purchased this product as a barrier to keep my dog from jumping into the front seat area and it works well for this. Installation is easy enough once you find anchor points on the seats, and the net storage is a nice bonus.” Jcillian
5. Houseday Car Seat Headrest Hooks
If you’re not into backseat organizers and find them bulky but need somewhere to attach your bag or other items, then go for the Houseday Car Seat Headrest Hooks, which offer a sturdy attachment for clothes hangers, handbags, hats, coats, and more. It helps keep your car organized and provides less clutter so you get a clear view as you drive. Rated 4.5 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Promising review: “These hooks fit easily onto the headrest bars. I have purchased a second set for my husband’s car. I like to have a bag hanging from the hooks to collect trash or recycling. Works great!” A Mark
For more stories on how to get organized in 2021, make sure to check out these organization and home improvement stories from our archive.
Just a disclaimer – We have partnered with these companies because we use their products and/or proudly trust and endorse them – so we do receive a commission if you make a purchase or sign up for services. Often, we are able to negotiate special discounts and/or bonuses, which we will pass on to you via our links. We often get short notice on sale items available for 24-48 hours as we will pass these savings onto you.