August 26 is Dog Appreciation Day and on this day, we treat our fur babies to something extra special! Dogs are truly man’s best friend, but did you know that there are a number of health benefits associated with owning a dog? Fur parents would be glad to know that there are several science-based benefits of caring for a canine friend. Here are some of them.
- An Australian study on urban dog owners showed that having a furry companion was “associated with a reduction in loneliness within three months, with the observation persisting to the end of the study,” which led researchers to believe that dog ownership in fact makes us feel less alone or isolated, especially during times of crisis. A national survey from the Human Animal Bond Research Institute supported this, with 85% of respondents saying that interaction with pets reduced their loneliness.
- Owning dogs helps relieve stress. According to the American Kennel Club, multiple studies have shown that dogs and therapy dogs can help combat feelings of stress and anxiety in owners. In fact, researchers at Washington State University found that as little as 10 minutes of dog petting can have a meaningful impact on the reduction of the stress hormone cortisol.
- Caring for dogs encourages you to be more active. A British study published in 2019 showed that dog owners are about four times more likely than those who do not own dogs to meet daily physical activity requirements to stay healthy. Those who cared for pets spend about 300 minutes walking their dogs weekly, compared to 100 minutes for those who don’t own dogs.
- Dog ownership helps you get motivated to be more active and therefore lose weight. The Huffington Post reported on a study on public housing residents who walked “loaner” dogs, which revealed that those who walked the dogs five times a week lost an average of 14.4 pounds in 12 months. It not only helped people lose weight, it also changed their mindset and saw mobility not as exercise but as a responsibility.
- Owning pets, specifically dogs, can help reduce doctor visits among elderly people. A study published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology showed that seniors who own pets on Medicare showed less doctor contacts in 12 months compared to their peers who did not own pets. Specifically, those who owned dogs were “buffered from the impact of stressful life events on physician utilization.”
But owning a pet is not all benefits, as being fur parents also entails responsibility. This Dog Appreciation Day, we curated some of the best products for dogs to help parenting your fur baby a little better. Treat your dog to these amazing pet-friendly gifts this Dog Appreciation Day.
Dog Appreciation Day: Best Products for Your Dog’s Overall Health and Wellness
1. Burt’s Bees for Dogs 2 in 1 Tearless Dog Shampoo & Conditioner for Puppies
As fur parents, we only want the best for our fur babies. This Dog Appreciation Day, make sure your dog is well pampered and cared for with the Burt’s Bees for Dogs 2 in 1 Dog Shampoo & Conditioner, which cleans, soothes, softens, and conditions your puppy’s skin and coat. This unique formula for Burt’s Bees for Dogs features the highest quality ingredients, such as buttermilk, which soothes skin and softens hair and linseed oil, which deeply conditions your puppy’s coat. It is a mild shampoo and conditioner features a vet-recommended formula that is PH balanced and designed for all dogs and puppies. The best part? This tearless formula is cruelty-free and formulated without colorants, sulfates, and added fragrances. It has an overall rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Why fur parents love it: “Loved this product for my puppy! Makes his fur so soft and smelling nice. Gentle for sure! Helped his sensitive skin too.” Amanda
2. Rocco & Roxie Dog Shampoos for All Dogs Calm Sensitive Shampoo
Especially designed for tender new puppy skin or dogs with sensitive dermal conditions, the Rocco & Roxie Calm Sensitive Shampoo is crafted with aloe vera extract, which smoothes the cuticle surface and seals in moisture for skin and coat, rosemary, a restorative ingredient that stimulates follicle growth, and gentle chamomile to calm your dog. It’s specifically formulated to be extra gentle with no tears or allergies. This product does not contain masking dyes, drying alcohols, or parabens that may be bad for your dog’s endocrine system. This product has an overall rating of 4.5 out of 5 on Amazon.
Why fur parents love it: “I have a large dog with very sensitive skin, and she was breaking out in hives with other gentle shampoos. The product lathered nicely, rinsed off easily, and left her with shiny coat. It has no fragrance so do not anticipate having a dog that smells like perfume, just one that does not smell like, well a stinky dog.” Ray Sieradzki
3. Warren London Hydrating Butter Leave in Dog Conditioner for Dry Skin & Coat in Guava and Mangosteen
Pamper your pup with this leave-in conditioner from Warren London, which effectively hydrates, conditions, de-matts, and moisturizes. This premium non-oily leave-in conditioner offers vital nutrients while moisturizing and conditioning your dog’s dry skin. It also effectively penetrates, conditions, and detangles the coat of long haired dogs while softening the fur of short haired breeds. This leave-in conditioner features aromatherapeutic fragrance that can replace dog cologne or pet perfume to save you money. This product is rated 4.6 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Why fur parents love it: “Smells amazing! And seemed to help A LOT with my dog’s dry flakey skin without making her oily to the touch. It made her fur unbelievably soft and was easy to rub in.” Lucy
4. Zesty Paws Glucosamine for Dogs Hip & Joint Health Soft Chews
This Dog Appreciation Day, keep your dog healthy from the inside with Zesty Paws Core Elements Mobility Bites for Hip & Joint, “pawsome” chewables packed with ingredients that support joint health for all types of dogs. It contains OptiMSM, a premium form of MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane) that goes through a purifying distillation process to help your dog flex their muscles. It also contains Glucosamine HCl, which helps maintain the health, lubrication, and resiliency of dogs’ joints and connective tissue, as well as Chondroitin Sulfate that supports cartilage, connective tissue, and joint function. This health supplement for dogs, which also contains vitamins C, E, and kelp, comes in a soft chew bacon flavored formula that’s easy to eat and digest for your four-legged family member. It has an overall rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Why fur parents love it: “Our rottie has been taking these for about a week. I swear I can already tell the difference. She wags her tail and is up playing more than 2 weeks ago. She’s 5 and acting like a puppy again!” Amber Bragg
5. Ready Pet Go! Omega 3 Health Chews for Skin, Fur & Joint Health in Fish Oil & Cheese
Help your dog maintain a healthy inflammation response and support his joint health and mobility with this health supplement designed for dogs! The Ready Pet Go! Omega 3 Health Chews are healthy dog treats that are packed with omega fatty acids that provide joint support as well as arthritis pain relief, and dog itching skin relief. It contains fish oil that’s good for their skin and coat, and vitamin E and Biotin that support healthy skin and coat, no matter the breed of your dog. These supplements are also boosted by EPA and DHA to support immune cell function and promote overall health and wellness. It comes in a fish oil and cheese flavor that your dogs will surely love. Rated 4.4 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Why fur parents love it: “My 8 month old Shepsky was shedding really bad and within 4 days it has basically stopped. Great flavor and scent he loves them. I will subscribe to keep them coming.” Andre L.
Top Rated Toys for Dogs
1. Feeko Non-Toxic Natural Rubber Long-Lasting Indestructible Dog Toys for Aggressive Chewers Large Breed in Orange
Help meet your dog’s instinct needs and releases of energy with this Feeko non-toxic long-lasting, indestructible dog toy for aggressive chewers. It not only helps them develop healthy chewing habits, but also helps clean their teeth, relieve anxiety, and reduce boredom and barking problems. This toy is made of 100% natural rubber that is non-toxic and features a beef smell that attracts your dog’s attention. Featuring an innovative shape design, this 15-inch long and 2-lb heavy dog toy uses his chewing habits to help him interact with it. Rated 4.5 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Why fur parents love it: “Both my dogs love it. Going to have to order another one! Very durable, they usually tear into toys within the first day but so far it doesn’t even have a scratch on it!” Rebecca Gibney
2. Tamu Style Rubber Chicken Squeaky Dog Toys in Yellow
A highly addictive trainer’s choice for fetching, bonding and to calm down nervous dogs, the Tamu Style rubber chicken squeaky dog toy is designed to trigger a natural fetching instinct. It is made from safe, durable, non-toxic washable latex rubber and is great to use on all dog breeds and sizes. It features a squawking sound at every bite, helping your dog interact and play. Help your dog reduce stress caused by separation anxiety with this fun squeaky toy. Rated 4.3 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Why fur parents love it: “Loud Squeaky Toy – exactly like I was looking for. My daughter’s dachshund Lucy loves it! She plays with her other toys but always comes back to the chicken.” GilliganLovesGinger
3. Benebone Real Bacon Durable Wishbone Dog Chew Toy for Aggressive Chewers
This durable, long-lasting dog toy is specifically designed for super chewers. Benebones are designed to be tougher than real bones and last for weeks. It uses 100% real bacon flavor to keep your dog engaged and wanting more. The Benebone Wishbone is curved for a paw-friendly grip so your fur baby can quickly grab it and chew! The Wishbone is easy to handle, tastes awesome, and stands up to heavy chewing so your dog can enjoy it for weeks to come. Rated 4.5 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Why fur parents love it: ‘This will save ALL your furniture. And shoes. An absolute must-have for puppies! We bought this before our pup even came home. It was recommended by everyone from the Vet to the people at the pet store. Our dog is 8 months old and still carries it around like it’s his best friend. Unlike rawhide it can’t be eaten and it won’t get all smelly and sticky. An overall great investment.” MegSchmidt
4. Nina Ottosson By Outward Hound Interactive Puzzle Game Dog Toys
Give your dog a little mental challenge with this interactive puzzle game, which features additional obstacles and combinations of steps that will keep your dog focused and mentally-stimulated as they search for, sniff out, and capture the amazing treats! THe Nina Ottosson Dog Brick comes with three types of treat hiding compartments to test your dog’s skills, including the flip lid compartments that open and slide to reveal two separate treat hiding spots, while removable brick bones offer third hidden compartments for a treat-searching adventure he’ll love. These puzzles are designed with your dog’s health in mind and are made of food safe materials. Rated 4.4 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Why fur parents love it: “My dog loves this! It’s not very challenging and he figured it out immediately. Helps slow down his eating and stimulates his noggin a bit!” Lauren Cyrsky
5. MewaJump Interactive Dog Chew Toys for Training and Cleaning Teeth for Small to Medium Dogs
Featuring the shape of a cactus, this chew toy for dogs from MewaJump is made of absolutely safe natural rubber that is flexible and bite-resistant for longer lasting support for heavy chewers. Save your furniture from bits and nibbles with this toy, which keeps your dog engaged and his teeth clean. Rated 4.3 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Why fur parents love it: “My dogs love it. My jack russell mix destroys everything but not this. It’s strong and sturdy. He loves to play fetch with it and chew on it. Still in one piece. Very nice product!” Josh M.
For more great ideas for your pets and home, make sure to check out the stories you may have missed from our archive below. Sign up for our weekly newsletter so you’re the first to know about flash deals and amazing deals for your family.
Just a disclaimer – We have partnered with these companies because we use their products and/or proudly trust and endorse them – so we do receive a commission if you make a purchase or sign up for services. Often, we are able to negotiate special discounts and/or bonuses, which we will pass on to you via our links. We often get short notice on sale items available for 24-48 hours as we will pass these savings onto you.