Leprechauns, rainbows that lead to pots of gold, and shamrocks! Now is the time to bring the luck of the Irish into your home with iconic St. Patrick’s Day themes. St. Patrick’s Day is a festive celebration of Irish culture and it is often celebrated by drinking Irish beer and whipping up some delectable Irish dishes. But aside from cooking and dining, you can also host some fun St. Patrick’s Day activities you can do at home if you are choosing to stay away from crowds this season. Here are some suggestions on how to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day safely.
- Host a scavenger hunt. For households with several children, you can get the kids to go on a scavenger hunt in your home and garden. Scatter clues and treasures all over your property for the kids to find and bring home, they might just find a lucky shamrock or leprechaun to help in their search for candy coins!
- Make kid-friendly St. Patrick’s Day crafts and cards. Inspire creativity in the children by getting them to make St. Patrick’s Day crafts such as wreaths, cards, and home decor featuring themes of the holiday. Kids can enjoy making their own little leprechauns, wreaths, thinking of you cards for their grandparents and socially distancing relatives, and more.
- Refresh with some wholesome green drinks. Good Housekeeping recommends making some kid-friendly green drinks that are festive and holiday-appropriate, such as green limeade or a healthy green smoothie that the kids won’t say “yuck!” to. Go for banana smoothies with some green apple or other green fruits and vegetables that are palatable for kids.
- Learn about Irish history and culture through an online class. There’s no need to leave home when you have virtual classes at your fingertips. This St. Patrick’s Day, why not explore Ireland virtually through Ancient Ireland: Culture and Society class on Udemy? This class explores the country’s ancient past and takes a closer look at its society and culture through up to 4 hours of on demand video. Additionally, you can follow it up with Irish Mythology class also on Udemy, which sheds light on the four cycles of Irish mythology, along with key themes, stories, characters and motifs. Learn about the mindset and identity of the early Irish people and discover the many legends of Irish mythology.
- Watch a St. Patrick’s Day parade online. Because of the coronavirus pandemic, most big events have moved online, including St. Patrick’s Day parades. Check out your local community for any online events that you can join virtually so you can fully immerse yourself in Irish culture. You can also read up on Irish history or try a hand in whipping up Irish cuisine in the kitchen. Don’t know where to start with your Irish dishes? We’ve got you covered! Check out these recipes below.
Delicious St. Patrick’s Day Recipes to Whip Up with the Whole Family
1. Gammy’s Irish Soda Bread
Recipe and photo by Caroline Lange, Food52
This delightfully heartwarming recipe for Irish soda bread will keep you and your family busy in the kitchen all afternoon. Imagine the scent of roasted caraway seeds combined with the aroma of melted butter. Caroline Lange describes her grandmother’s Irish soda bread as “round, dense loaf made from an amazingly sticky dough—mostly fruit strapped into flour via buttermilk.” To make this treat, you’ll need all-purpose or bread flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, salt, butter, raisins, currants, caraway seeds, and buttermilk. Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with some Irish Soda Bread and grab the full recipe at Food52.
2. Corned Beef & Cabbage From Suzanne Goin
Recipe by Genius Recipes, photo by James Ransom at Food52
Corned beef is a St. Patrick’s Day staple, but this recipe from Suzanne Goin offers a California twist to a favorite. It uses a dump-in-the-Crock-Pot approach and lets you cook the vegetables separately so you can make them as crisp as you want to. You’ll love its “vibrant, vinegary parsley-mustard sauce” that truly brings the corned beef to life. Laura gave this a five-star review, writing, “Made this for company tonight and it was a huge hit! Love the tang in the cabbage from the pepper. Delicious!” Grab the recipe at Food52.
3. Irish Cream
Recipe by Rosie Schaap, photo by James Ransom at Food52
This St. Patrick’s Day, why not try to make your own homemade Irish Cream? This recipe from Rosie Schaap lets you moderate how much flavor and alcohol you put into the batch. Featuring the flavors of whisky, espresso, cocoa powder, and vanilla, this Irish cream is one that will impress. Grab the recipe at Food52.
4. Irish Coffee Cupcakes for a Sweet St. Patrick’s Day
Recipe by Katie Macdonald, photo by James Ransom at Food52
Imagine the flavors of Irish cream in a delectable cupcake! That’s what you’ll get with this recipe from Katie Macdonald, who expertly combines the flavors of bitter coffee and smooth Irish whiskey sweetened with cream and sugar. These coffee-flavored cupcakes are topped with buttercream with Irish cream, while the cake is brushed with whiskey for a perfect moist bite. It’s a perfect treat for St. Patrick’s Day! Get the recipe at Food52.
5. Irish Hot Chocolate
Recipe by Marian Bull, photo by James Ransom at Food52
St. Patrick’s Day is the perfect excuse to get some booze into your favorite hot chocolate drink. This simple recipe calls for a 12-ounce bottle Guinness or other stout, 1/4 cup of cocoa powder, a pinch of kosher salt, three cups of whole milk, 8 ounces of chopped dark chocolate, 4 ounces Irish cream liqueur, and 4 ounces Irish whiskey. Find out how to make this sweet boozy warm drink at Food52.
Bake Some St. Patrick’s Day Cookies, Cupcakes, and Other Goodies
These St. Patrick’s Day-themed baking and cooking supplies will get you in the mood to whip up a sweet batch in the kitchen.
1. Ann Clark Cookie Cutters 5-Piece St. Patrick’s Day Cookie Cutter Set with Recipe Booklet and Shamrock, Horseshoe, Beer Mug, Flag, Leprechaun Hat Shapes
The luck of the Irish will surely come to you in the form of cookies! This season, gather the family to bake some St. Patrick’s Day cookies with the help of this kit from Ann Clark. This kit features St. Patrick’s Day cookie cutter set with shamrock, horseshoe, beer mug, flag, leprechaun, and hat shapes, and a recipe booklet with Ann Clark’s personal recipes. Enjoy delicious cut cookies this holiday season. This kit has an overall rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
2. Honbay Silicone Four Leaf Clover Baking Molds
Whether for making bath bombs, soaps, or sweet treats, these molds will surely add some Irish luck to your home. Made with food grade silicone, these molds are great for making chocolate, ice, candy, dessert, jelly, pastry, and even non-edibles such as soap and candles. Capture the St. Patrick’s Day spirit with these shamrock molds that would add a warm touch to any holiday offering. These molds have an overall rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
3. Cotxdag St. Patrick’s Day Cupcake Toppers
Create the most memorable St. Patrick’s Day celebration with these whimsical cupcake toppers, which are made of premium food-grade paper and toothpicks that are safe and non-toxic. Perfect for any St. Patrick’s Day themed celebration, these cupcake toppers feature 24 pieces each of a pot of gold, rainbow, leprechaun, leprechaun’s hat, and a shamrock for a total of 144 whimsical pieces to decorate your sweet treats. Get these on Amazon.
4. DecoPac St. Patricks Day Fusion Mix Shamrock Confetti Sprinkles Quins
Add a special St. Patrick’s Day magical touch to your cupcakes and cakes with the DecoPack confetti mix, which features an awesome assortment of shamrock quins, jimmies, confetti, nonpareils and sugar crystals. It comes in a convenient 26 oz container that allows easy use and storage. This product has an overall rating of 5 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
5. Wilton 4-Piece Gold Cupcake Decorating Kit with old Baking Cups and Sprinkles
Add a golden touch to your St. Patrick’s Day cupcakes with this handy kit from Wilton, which features elegant standard gold baking cups, gold pearlized sugar sprinkles, and gold sugar pearls. These baking cups are foil-lined so color remains bright even after baking. It’s a handy baking kit that you’ll need for all kinds of holidays. This product has an overall rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Host a St. Patrick’s Day Afternoon Tea or Dinner Gathering
These holiday-appropriate essentials will make for a stunning celebration of St. Patrick’s Day. Spruce up your kitchen and dining area with these St. Paddy’s Day-themed items.
1. Design Imports St. Patrick’s Day Print Table Runner
Featuring a charming embroidered design, the Design Imports St. Patrick’s Day Print Table Runner adds a unique flair to your holiday table. It measures 14 x 72 inches and can easily be machine washed for easy maintenance. This shamrock table runner coordinates perfectly with any St. Patrick’s Day decor, making it a perfect centerpiece of your dinner table. Shop at Macy’s.
2. Crock-Pot Artisan 5 Quart Round Enameled Braiser Pan with Self Basting Lid in Green
Bring in the color of luck and prosperity this St. Patrick’s Day with the Crock-POt Artisan 5-Quart Round Enameled Braiser Pan in green. This delightful braiser pan is perfect for slow simmering a flavorful Irish stew or baking some Irish bread. This versatile crock-pot artisan 5 quart braiser pan comes with a self basting lid and is made of quality cast iron with a beautiful and durable enameled finish, making it beautiful to use on the stove or even on the table. It has a 160 oz capacity and has a 12-inch diameter lid. This braiser pan is oven safe up to 500F. Shop at Macy’s.
3. Belleek Pottery Shamrock Teapot
Got some tea to spill? Serve it with this shamrock teapot from Belleek Pottery, which is hand painted and handcrafted from fine Parian China. It’s sure to make an impression with its elegantly crafted and painted weaved design and shamrocks. It has a 35 fl oz capacity and is dishwasher safe but hand wash recommended. Makes for a great gift this St. Patrick’s Day. Shop at Macy’s. Don’t forget to add to your collection the Belleek Pottery Shamrock Basketweave Mugs, Shamrock Cream Jug, and the Shamrock Sugar Bowl.
4. Martha Stewart Collection Sage Oval Stoneware Cocottes, Set of 2
This pair of stoneware cocottes from the Martha Stewart Collection offers classic serveware style with a contemporary flair with its gorgeous color. Serve individual side dishes in style with this pair of lidded oval cocottes, which each measure 6.5 x 4 x 3 inches and holds about 10.25 oz. These stoneware pieces are dishwasher safe and oven safe to 450°F. Great for gift giving as well. Shop at Macy’s.
5. Villeroy & Boch French Garden Green Lines Dinner Plate
Serve heartwarming meals in style with the Villeroy & Boch French Garden Green Lines Dinner Plates, which are crafted from premium porcelain. Made in Germany, these plates are originally designed in 1997, giving a unique country cottage charm to your kitchen and tablescape. Simple yet sophisticated, the Green Line is elegant on its own but can be brilliantly mixed and matched with other pieces in the brand’s French Garden patterns. This piece features well-known scalloped edges and raised curves from the original collection. This plate is dishwasher and microwave safe. Shop at Macy’s.
More Unique St. Patrick’s Day Themed Finds and Accessories
Whether as gifts to your loved ones or accessories you’ll want to have for yourself, these unique St. Patrick’s Day themed finds will surely brighten up your holiday.
1. Mojave Bloom Studio Shamrock & Clover St. Patrick’s Day Earrings
This season, show off your Irish pride with these statement earrings that are delicately crafted with 18K gold plated hardware and polymer clay. These drop-shaped earrings will bring you luck with its charming patterns of large and small four-leaf clovers and small white flowers. Each pair of earrings are unique thanks to its handcrafted nature. Grab them now at Etsy.
2. Jzyromski St. Patrick’s Day Mask with Nose Wire and Adjustable Elastic Strap
This season, stay safe in style with these holiday-appropriate face masks that feature charming shamrock prints. It offers a fit snug that’s comfortable to wear thanks to its removable and replaceable nose wire that keeps it in place. It also features adjustable elastic ear bands for a perfect fit for anyone aged 12 and up. These masks also have a pocket on the inside. Get these on Etsy.
3. The Divine Iguana Four-Leafed Clover Shamrock for St. Patrick’s Day Earrings
Adorn your ears with this unique accessory that’s just in time for St. Patrick’s Day. These earrings feature a Victorian botanical illustration of a shamrock under a 5/8-inch glass cabochon. It features sleek nickel free brass findings and wires that offer a vintage look to your ensemble. Shop at Etsy.
4. Blingitonyouboutique Custom Shamrock St. Patrick’s Day Popsocket Blinged with Green Black Swarovski Crystals
Add some lucky sparkle and shine to your daily ensemble with this “blinged out” Popsocket for your phone. Handmade using an authentic black Popsocket and authentic Swarovski crystals, this custom phone grip is perfect for celebrating the holiday. It’s great for securing your grip on your phone while texting, calling, and more. Shop at Etsy.
5. CollarsByColleen St. Patrick’s Day Shamrock Dog Collar
Let your four-legged friend enjoy the season with this charming dog collar that features lucky shamrock designs. The collar is made with cotton fabric, webbing, and hardware, and comes in five sizes to make sure it fits your cat or dog. Each dog collar is lovingly made by hand for your precious furbaby. Shop at Etsy.
More great St. Patrick’s Day ideas await in the stories from our archive below. Don’t forget to sign up to our weekly newsletter to be the first to know about the freshest trends and deals in the market today.
St. Patrick’s Day Fashion: Looks to Bring Good Luck
How to Celebrate Cinco de Marcho in Preparation for St. Patrick’s Day
Best St. Patrick’s Day Party Makeup Looks to Bring Good Luck
St. Patrick’s Day Party Outfits and What to Wear
St. Patrick’s Day Themed Baby and Child Essentials
Color Your Wardrobe Green With These Fun St. Patrick’s Day Inspired Pieces!
Saint Patrick’s Day-Themed Party Essentials and Home Decor
The Most Fun Saint Patrick’s Day Gift Ideas Ever
Post-St. Patrick’s Day Clean Up Essentials for Tidying Up Your Home
Just a disclaimer – We have partnered with these companies because we use their products and/or proudly trust and endorse them – so we do receive a commission if you make a purchase or sign up for services. Often, we are able to negotiate special discounts and/or bonuses, which we will pass on to you via our links. We often get short notice on sale items available for 24-48 hours as we will pass these savings onto you.