The coronavirus pandemic has forever changed the way we live. Whether it’s working from home, homeschooling, or ordering groceries and products online, the pandemic has caused us to re-evaluate the way we “normally” do things to ensure that our families stay well and healthy, far away from this disease. Large gatherings such as concerts, conventions, plays, and more have been cancelled to help avoid the spread of the coronavirus. However, going out and buying groceries and essentials is still something we need to do. So how do we keep safe as we limit our time outdoors and grab our essentials? Here are some grocery shopping tips to avoid getting the coronavirus.
- Wear a face mask. One of the most important Covid-19 safety measures is to wear a face mask at all times when heading out. According to the CDC, it’s important that as we stay 6 feet apart at all times, it’s also important to “simple cloth face coverings to slow the spread of the virus and help people who may have the virus and do not know it from transmitting it to others.”
- Wipe down cart handles before use. While grocery stores may take extra measures to keep their facilities clean, it would not hurt to bring your own cleaning wipes and wipe down the cart handle before using them. It’s a great way to help minimize infection or transferring germs from the cart to your hands.
- Never touch your face. The CDC has long ordered to prevent touching one’s eyes, nose, mouth, and general face area when hands are unclean. This is because our hands may bring the virus to our face, which then travels to our respiratory system through our nose or mouth. When outdoors or in the grocery, never touch your face to avoid the transfer of any germs, bacteria, or viruses.
- Think twice before you touch a product. An important Covid-19 safety measure is to limit touching surfaces and things. At the grocery, we often mindlessly pick up products to read a label or see if a can is not dented or damaged before putting it in our carts. However, it’s better for now to only touch or handle items that you are sure to get and place in your cart.
- Always be armed with some hand sanitizer. A hand sanitizer with at least a 60% alcohol base is best to keep handy especially after a grocery run. It’s good to keep some in your bag and in your car so you can clean your hands even if you don’t have access to soap and water.
- Have a grocery list. To limit your time in the grocery, have a handy list of items to shop for so you know which aisles to go through. Taste of Home also suggests having a back up plan for ingredients that have sold out, especially when the pandemic has caused many to hoard items.
- Shop alone. Grocery shopping used to be a leisurely activity often done with kids or family members. However, a good Covid-19 safety measure would be to keep the family at home and go grocery shopping alone. It decreases the risk for exposure, especially for kids and the elderly.
- Pay electronically and forego the receipt. Some stores offer contactless payment with cards that can be tapped or even Apple Pay. According to Taste of Home, refusing a receipt can also reduce contact time. Some stores offer an electronic receipt that is emailed to you.
- After grocery shopping, be mindful of what you touch. Again, do not touch your face. Also, be mindful of the things you have touched, such as your phone, keys, wallet, bag, car door handle, steering wheel, etc. You will need to wipe down these surfaces once you are done grocery shopping.
- Wipe down surfaces after you shop. Whether it’s when you get home or get to the parking lot, make sure you wipe down your phone, keys, steering wheel, and other surfaces you have touched during your trip to the grocery.
These grocery shopping tips to avoid getting the coronavirus are great Covid-19 safety precautions we can practice to keep ourselves and our families safe. To help carry out these practices, we have curated some products to help keep you safe and clean outdoors.
Covid-19 Safety: Hand Sanitizers to Keep on Hand While Grocery Shopping to Avoid the Coronavirus
1. Honeyskin Aloe Vera Hand Purifying Gel
A great alternative for hand sanitizers, the Honeyskin Aloe Vera Hand Purifying Gel harnesses the power of natural ingredients such as Witch Hazel Oil, Onion and Garlic Extract, Neroli Oil, Rosemary Oil, Irish Moss Extract, Oregano and Peppermint Oil. These ingredients are rich in antioxidants and natural ingredients that cleanse and purify the skin without drying it out. It has an aloe vera base to prevent skin from drying out. It’s even safe for kids because it is made of natural and organic ingredients, without alcohol. Customers have rated this product 4.2 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Promising customer review: “This hand sanitizer seems to be gentle on your skin, yet gives a little “sting” on minor abrasions or cuts. This shows that it is effectively cleaning my hands. I added some alcohol to the mix just to be on the safe side, and it blended in flawlessly.” Tony Roberson
2. Maple Holistics Honeydew 75% Alcohol Hand Sanitizer Spray
The Maple Holistics antiseptic hand sanitizer has an isopropyl alcohol base to ensure that hands stay clean and sanitized when you don’t have access to soap and water. Experience superior germ protection with its disinfectant formula, which is gently yet effective in cleaning hands. This product features a non-toxic, unscented formula and comes in an easy spray bottle for on-the-go hand cleansing. Customers have rated this product 5 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Promising customer review: “Tried the sanitizer and could definitely feel the amount of alcohol in the solution. Very good price for quite a big bottle and very useful to keep your hands clean.” Shen
3. Stream2Sea Vitamin E Eucalyptus & Camphor Infused Antibacterial Hand Sanitizer
Say hello to a new kind of hand sanitizing experience from Stream2Sea, a known sunscreen brand. This antibacterial hand sanitizer has a 62% alcohol base and is infused with vitamin E, eucalyptus, and camphor to instantly moisturize skin to prevent the drying effects of alcohol. This product is produced in an FDA-registered facility in the U.S. Great for keeping handy in your bag or at home. Customers have rated this product 4.5 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Promising customer review: “I am so impressed that Stream2Sea took a break from making reef-safe sunscreen to step up and create this product during the shortage. Not only does it feel great to support a small business that manufactures all of their products in the USA, but the product itself is awesome too! It’s the perfect size to fit into my purse and in my car’s cup holder. I like that it came in a multi-pack so I can stash them a few different places. It’s also nice to use a sanitizer that isn’t a gel. This product is light and moisturizing.” Caitlin Woodman
4. The Naked Bee Alcohol-Based Orange Blossom Honey Hand Sanitizer
Made with a 62% ethyl alcohol base, the Naked Bee Orange Blossom Honey Hand Sanitizer comes in a convenient 8 oz bottle that’s great for stashing in your bag or keeping around the house. It is made from pure ingredients such as natural honey, aloe vera gel, witch hazel, seaweed extract, green tea extracts, and essential oils to moisturize while sanitizing the skin. Customers rated this product 4.6 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Promising customer review: “Love this hand sanitizer. As a hospital nurse the hand sanitizer provided is terrible in my hands but this makes them feel great and the smell is fantastic.” Ginger
5. Jaysuing Portable No-wash Quick-Drying Press Hand Sanitizer
Packaged in an easy-dispense bottle, the Jaysuing Hand Sanitizer has an amino acid antibacterial formula that effectively kills bacteria and germs. It’s a practical cleaning solution for when you don’t have access to soap and water. Its pump bottle makes it easy to dispense and is great for keeping in your bag or around the house. Customers rated this product 4 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Promising customer review: “Each of my family owns a bottle. It can quickly clean hands without water at any time, and the effect is very good.” Liyijajf Stadielis
Covid-19 Safety Measures: Cleaning Wipes for Hands and Surfaces
1. pH-W Personal Hygiene Wipes, 50 Count
If you want a quick clean after coming home from a trip to the grocery or pharmacy, here’s a convenient pack of wipes to get you clean asap. pH-W Personal Hygiene Wipes are great for both hands and body. It is made with Amezol, a third party verified natural antibacterial and antimicrobial compound that is made of natural peptide and amino acid derivatives. It’s great for body cleansing and sanitary needs. It’s packed with tea tree oil, aloe, and coconut oil for sensitive skin. This product is made in the U.S. Shop at Amazon.
Promising customer review: “It does the job. Although the wipes can be a bit difficult to get out of the package, they are a decent size, have a clean fragrance, and work well. A friend who is a nurse recommended these wipes. Although they are supposed to be flushable, I’m reluctant to do so; we have a septic system and I’d prefer not to tempt fate.” Deb
2. T.N. Dickinson’s Witch Hazel New Soothing Multi-Use Cleansing Cloth, 25 Count
Get your hands, arms, and body clean instantly after a trip outdoors with these multi-use cleansing cloths from T.N. Dickinson. It features a 100% all natural witch hazel astringent that’s effective enough to soothe chronic skin conditions and cleanse first aid skin irritations. It’s safe to use for both face and body so you can conveniently clean yourself even if you don’t have access to soap and water. Customers have rated this product 4.8 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Promising customer review: “Brought these to Jamaica and loved how refreshing they were! Used them multiple times a day to freshen up.” Nadine
3. Kleenex Wet Wipes Gentle Clean for Hands and Face, 1 Box of 300 Individually Wrapped Wipes
Here’s a cleansing treat you can toss into your bag for when you head out (also great for kids’ bags). These individually wrapped Kleenex Wet Wipes are softer and 35% thicker than the leading national brand of hands and face wipes. There’s no sticky residue and is gentle enough for daily use. It has a unique formula that is alcohol-free, paraben-free, and 0% sulfates and phthalates. Say goodbye to harsh chemicals with these wipes that feature gentle cleansers and 98% purified water. Customers have rated this product 4.7 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Promising customer review: “I bought these because I’m often in dusty environments for work and wanted something without a cleaner or disinfectant for wiping my face and hands. I keep a handful of these in my car, my work vehicle, and my bag. And the next thing my wife did after making fun of me for buying a big box was to grab a handful for herself as well. Love the fact that these are individual, not a dispenser pack so the bottom ones aren’t dried out by the time you get to them. They’re also large and thick, think more like a wet paper towel.” Andrew
4. Innerest Refreshing Body, Hand, and Face Wipes, Cleansing Cloths
Sealed in a pack with a flip-top closure, these wipes are kept moist so you need not worry about drying out. It’s easy to bring in any bag so you get the convenience of handy wipes every time. These wipes, which are great for face, hand, and body use, are infused with the gentle cleansing power of water and fruit extracts. This product is rated 4.4 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Promising customer review: “It’s worth the money! Super Soft and clean!” Jacobson R.
5. Disinfect & Clean 75% Alcohol Wipes
Convenient for a wide array of uses, these all-purpose wipes are great for disinfecting hands and other surfaces such as mobile phones, electronics, doorknobs, tables, and more. It’s made of non-woven fabric, is skin-friendly, and easy and safe to use. Customers rated this product 5 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Promising customer review: “Convenient to clean door knobs, surfaces, drawer handles, light switches, and all those places that harbor germs and bacteria! Keep a package in the car for a quick wipe down and clean up.” Rena Wilkerson
For more on Covid-19 safety and how to ensure you and your family stay safe from the coronavirus, make sure to check out the stories below.
Just a disclaimer – We have partnered with these companies because we use their products and/or proudly trust and endorse them – so we do receive a commission if you make a purchase or sign up for services. Often, we are able to negotiate special discounts and/or bonuses, which we will pass on to you via our links. We often get short notice on sale items available for 24-48 hours as we will pass these savings onto you.